Monday, 27 October 2008

All hail the Queen

This band will forever be special to me because I grew up listening to their music. Saturday mornings I would literally vibrate out of my bed, as my dad would crank up the speakers and start the weekend with us dancing around the living room, playing air guitar with random objects, or playing the drums on pots and pans. "Made in Heaven" was the last studio album featuring the legendary Freddie Mercury, and I've always loved the video for "You don't fool me".

And because I am a sucker for bombastic musical displays, here's showman Mercury once again, this time with the lovely Montserrat Caballé in a powerful performance of "Barcelona".

4 comments:

LosingIt said...

officially delurking:
queen has been one of my favorite bands since my sophomore year of high school when my best friend's big brother introduced me to them on the way home from classes. i get CHILLS every time i listen to them, especially "barcelona." under the glitter, glam and cheese, there's a HUGE collection of musical talent. as someone who is musically inclined, i can't help but appreciate their tight harmonies, complex chords and the vastness of their song's varieties, from stadium anthems to tender ballads. they were in philadelphia a couple years ago (obviously not w/ mercury), and i still kick myself for going to see billy joel instead.

Pants said...

Well, at least it was Billy Joel and not Billy Idol...

As a Dutch girl I love me some cheese, but Queen was indeed so much more than that. Thanks for delurking and sharing my love of all things Freddie!

Karen said...

Ok, please don't ever use the sentence 'literally vibrating out of my bed' ever again. Must...stop...jokes...You're killing me here! And yes, I'm twelve. Sue me.

Pants said...

Just make the damn joke Karen. Trust me, you'll feel better...