Thursday, 20 November 2008
Top 5 hospital horror stories
Let's face it, being a doctor is gross! I have a lot of doctor friends and therefore hear a lot of hospital-related stories. Like the other day, when one of my friends kindly informed me that she had professionally ass-fingered at least two of the people in the bar we were at. So in honour of their hard work and cruel jokes at the expense of their patients (which I thorougly enjoy by the way),
here's my top 5 hospital horror stories:
5. When doing an internship at the maternity ward, one of my friends learned of a baby that had been scarred for life. Because her twatwaffle parents couldn't decide on naming her Priscilla or Tiffany (both real winners if you ask me), they named the poor thing Prisciffany instead! To be fair this is not technically a horror story, but I find the knowledge that people like this exist in large numbers sufficiently frightening.
4. What is a hospital horror story list without the mandatory 'mystery object in da butt' contribution? I've heard of many strange finds in the rectal cavity ranging from cucumbers, to beer bottles, to cell phones, to toys (the kind actual kids are supposed to play with). You name it and it has undoubtedly been inserted in some dude's backside at one point or another. The best part is usually the patient's explanation of how it got there. "Well doctor, I was walking in the supermarket produce section when I slipped and fell on the zucchini..." Yeah right! One unlucky bastard was actually brave enough to confess that he had voluntarily put a vibrator up himself, but in the throws of passion he apparently fell out of bed and onto his bedside table, pushing the vibrator in deep beyond his reach. Because the thing was moving so much, the doctors had to wait for the batteries to run out before they could extract it, but by that time he had perforated his colon and had to undergo extensive surgery.
3. This one is kind of sad. A demented and seriously neglected old lady came into the hospital with a variety of ailments, but when she took off her clothes she actually made on of the doctors throw up (after he had excused himself of course). Her bra had grown into her skin, because she hadn't taken it off in over a decade, and she wore another one over it (for support I guess). But the worst part was in her panties, where she kept an onion to keep the maggots from falling out...
2. The next one is truly horrific and by all accounts not a fair example of the state of Dutch health care. When working in the OR, my ex-boyfriend suddenly got evacuated when a fire was discovered in a neighbouring operating room. As it turned out, a leaking oxygen bottle had caused a huge fire during an operation. The staff was forced to exit and seal the room to prevent more casualties, leaving the patient to be burnt alive on the operating table.
1. The story that works best at parties is this one: On a random saturday night a young couple enters the ER. They are both very upset and unwilling to look at eachother. They both have several deep lacerations, but the girl has them on her head, whilst the guy has them on his penis. After they've both been treated, the doctor summons them into an examination room to explain what happened. Reluctantly they start to tell the story of how, during a romantic dinner, things got a little hot and heavy, and the girl decided to crawl under the table in order to orally pleasure her boyfriend. During fellatio she has an epilectic seizure, causing her jaws to lock and her to bite down on his penis. In a state of agony and panic the boy grabs a fork from the table, and starts ramming it into his girlfriend's head in a desperate attempt to make her let go. Suffice to say it was probably the most traumatic three minutes of both of their lives...
I wonder if they are still together?