Monday, 22 December 2008

The Sappy Express


Something weird is going on. I've never been a very christmassy type of person. I HATE the rabid buy-crazy masses that flood the city throughout December. I don't particularly enjoy stuffing my face until I slip into a food induced coma, or explode from sheer gluttony, whichever comes first. And Christmas carols? That would be my Guantanamo torture music...

But somehow, this year, I find myself suffering from a severe case of the seasonal merries and looking forward to an old fashioned Christmas with family and friends. Maybe it's because it has been a while. Two years ago my family had the shittiest Christmas ever and last year I was making merry on a South African beach in a bikini, which was admittedly fantastic, but didn't really feel like Noël.

So now suddenly fake snow and tacky lighting are able to make me smile. I really look forward to spending quality time with my loved ones, cooking, drinking and yes overeating together. So be prepared for a short vacation from the usual misanthropy and bitchiness, because this week I'm all about the warm and fuzzy. And also the delicious because it looks like I'll be cooking my ass off and might be willing to share.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ik heb er zin in, lieverd. En zo te lezen, jij ook! goed bezig!
Lourien

Lainey said...

Hi Pants,

I am usually a big avoider of Christmas, too. This year though, I sent out cards and had wrapped gifts and everything. Weird. I did NOT however, hang lights or decorate my apartment. That's just far more effort than I'm willing to give!

Thanks for your positive and kind comments on my blog! I appreciate it a ton!

Pants said...

I didn't decorate either. That is until I received a deliciously tacky miniature Christmas tree (with lights) from a from a friend yesterday. And since I am also cooking for twelve on boxing day, I suspect some hideous tablecloths and ornaments will be stuffed in my bag by my mum.

Oh well, I might as well go all out...