Tuesday, 10 March 2009

Ten songs that will break your heart

The following list has nothing to do with my current state of mind because I'm actually feeling quite happy at the moment, but I've had this list in my YouTube favourites for a while now, and can't be asked to come up with anything new tonight. So without further ado, here are ten painfully beautiful songs that will make you want to curl up into a little ball and cry your tiny black heart out. Or eat a buttload of ice cream. Or both!

10. First up is "Letting the cables sleep" by Bush. I couldn't post the original video but this "Sin City" clip featuring the delicious Clive Owen should more than make up for that.




9. The next song is written from the perspective of a rapist and killer, but I love it nonetheless (or maybe it's what makes it great, I don't know). But here's Therapy with "Diane".




8. The next song was a big part of the musical salvation that elevated the movie "Cruel Intentions" from standard Hollywood remake disaster (Les Liaisons Dangereuses) to a halfway decent production. This clip is taken from the movie and has pretty people making the sexy. Here are Counting Crows with "Colorblind".




7. This lady is beyond weird, but I don't give a flying fiddle because this songs rocks! With a clip from "the Crow" here's Björk and "Play Dead".




6. I loved this song when I was a scrawny and awkward teenage snot, and I still do. One could argue that not much has changed except for the scrawny and teenage parts, but I like to think it's because good music stands the test of time. Here are the Smashing Pumpkins with "Disarm".



5. We're getting into serious tearjerking territory now, with the legendary Jeff Buckley. The tortured poet who tragically died before his time (just like his father) could easily be on this list five times without playing favourites. Here's "Lover you should've come over" live from Chicago in '95.



4. This song always humbles me. Its pure and modest message of hope has a way of making me appreciate all I have. Here's the very wise Tracey Chapman with "Fast Car".



3. I still can't watch this next clip without balling like a big Jessie. Here is the most powerful finale of a drama series I've ever seen, from "Six feet Under", with the fantastic soundtrack by Sia, "Breathe Me".



2. For all the dubious characteristics Prince possesses, there is no doubt he is one of the most talented songwriters alive today. Sung by the best looking bald lady ever, Sinead 'O Connor, this is "Nothing compares 2U".



1. I can't really put into words how much this song moves me, except that I can feel myself being physically stirred by it (hmm, I guess I can put it into words). I was never a big fan of the original by Nine Inch Nails (although Trent Reznor's lyrics are fantastic), but this version of "Hurt" by a bodily weakened but ever lion hearted Johnny Cash embodies everything that is great about music.

11 comments:

Jeremy Feist said...

Oh my God, do I ever love Sia so effing much. THANK YOU for that. Although I stand by Emily Haines as the queen of the weepfest song.

Losing It said...

my ovaries thank you... this went perfect with my weepfest and pint of haagen dazs.

Miss A said...

Jann Arden's Hanging by a thread and Lighthouse's Storm.

Now THOSE are some serious wrist-slashers.

Dropout! said...

Whoa, I kept wanting to break out into "I was gettin some head, gettin gettin some head" while listening to "Nothing Compares," because they're mixed together in Feed the Animals. I have been listening to Girl Talk waaay too much.

causaubon said...

these are all nice and all, but Nina Simone's For a While live at Ronnie Scott's still takes the cake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M-zRMqCX7w

jM said...

We are like Sad Song Soulmates™.

Fast Car is one of my favorite songs, ever.

Even though "Breathe Me" has been overplayed to death, I still drown in a sea of bitch tears when I see that clip. Definitely one of the best finales ever.

Listening to old Bush makes me want to kick Gavin Rossdale in the kidneys for living long enough to suck. He has a new song out that sounds like something Nickelback would consider beneath them.

Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" is one of the most brilliant covers I have witnessed. As is "Nothing Compares 2 U".

I OWN the Cruel Intentions soundtrack. When I tell people that, they spend two minutes ridiculing me before they finally cave in and admit that they like it, too.

Zevon Price said...

The Johnny Cash song is definitely the best pick from number one. If you really want to hear one that will break your heart, listen to him cover "If You Could Read My Mind" by Gordon Lightfoot. Total 70's cheese, I admit, but God, that man will absolutely make you cry when you hear his aged warble. You know he's hurting, but he persevers through the song, and you hurt with him.

Willis said...

Great list, 'Hurt' is definitely at the top in my book as well. I would like to add a couple for consideration though:

River by Joni Mitchell
Fairytale of New York by The Pogues

Austin said...

I second River by Joni Mitchell, but I also love the Robert Downey Jr. version. I also add:

Jolene by Ray LaMontagne
Everything I Do by Whiskeytown/Ryan Adams
anything sung by Patsy Cline

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I would like to burn a theme at here. There is such a thing, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of financial piramyde, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For several years , I earn money with the help of these programs.
I don't have problems with money now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I make 2G daily, and I started with funny 500 bucks.
Right now, I'm very close at catching at last a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Visit my web site to get additional info.

http://theblogmoney.com

Anonymous said...

Clausen ended up being amongst the initial online players to be able to arrive at workforce head office during dawning Fri after the exposed its doorways following the the courtroom purchase to end the lockout Knowing the rules in anything that you want to be involved with is a very smart move No matter what, when I saw the area code is 317 call, I knew it was time to go to work, WeiEnShui For now Marc Colombo has gone out for another week, but should be ready to go for week 1 in the regular season against WashingtonAs an owner of a fantasy team, you are responsible for analyzing these real life NFL stats and making the right fantasy football picks
A smaller order decreases shipping costs as costs are determined by how many cubic feet your shipment takes up Teams with veteran quarterbacks and long-standing systems seemingly should have the upper hand, but that's not to say teams to the contrary won't be competitive - it just might not happen until a little later in the season Troy is easily identifiable but not just for his skill on the gridiron but also for his long hair and recently appeared within a shampoo commercial It is for this reason that one can avail the services of a large number of institutes, each claiming to be better than the other while you go to pursue a career in the IT industry The following year he finished the season with 71 tackles and seven interceptions and was voted to his first Pro Bowl
They AlteRed-colored their Brand to Arizona Cardinals in 1994 A bit more difficult game and requires from you to have already some knowledge of Spanish That's all that really matters As we all know that NFL generates millions of revenue in each year which is astronomical to say Learn the rules specific to your league The team boss accused the players like appeal, the players are statement, they just like to play basketball, but the boss put them out the door

[url=http://www.officialtexansfanstore.com/andre-johnson-jersey-cheap]Womens Andre Johnson Jersey[/url]
[url=http://www.redskinsnflprostore.com/ryan-kerrigan-jersey-elite-c-6_25.html]Ryan Kerrigan Jersey Elite Nike[/url]
[url=http://www.officialtexansfanstore.com/andre-johnson-jersey-cheap]Andre Johnson Youth Jersey[/url]