Sunday, 21 June 2009

Happy father's day dad!


As far as dads go, mine is pretty fantastic. He's quite funny (not as funny as he thinks he is, but I guess that runs in the family...), he's generous, very proud, loving, and generally fun to be around. He's instilled in me a profound love for music, a strong sense of independance, and the confidence to go after whatever you want out of life. He's the dad you can have a beer with (read: many, many beers), and the dad my sister and I wouldn't trade for anyone. So in honour of father's day, I'd like to share some of his parenting greatest hits.

When I was in my early teens, I was the typical, sensitive, idealistic bookworm (you know the type; wears a lot of black, not very good at the evil high school politics, writes awful and naive poetry about changing the world) and also not very easy to shop for. When my birthday came around, my dad walked into the local bookshop and told the saleswoman; "My daughter is way too smart for her own good and loves to read. I have no idea what kind of book to get her, help me." And so that's how I got Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, by Douglas Hofstadter for my 13th birthday. It still gives me a headache, but it's nonetheless very flattering to know that your dad mistakenly believes you to be some kind of genius.

A few years after that, I had tickets for a Junkie XL concert in Tilburg (about an hour away) and my friend and I had secretly planned to stay with some students who lived there, so we could stay out all night. Naturally we got busted for lying about where we were planning to stay, but instead of grounding me, he drove us to the concert and came to pick us up at one in the morning, joking and smiling all the way. This of course made me feel horribly guilty about being a lying little shit, and earned him major cool points for life.

The best thing my dad ever did though, and the biggest example of the kind of person he is, was what he did when my cousin was in trouble. I won't go into details, but let's just say he was being mistreated by the people who were supposed to take care of him. When he got the call, my dad just got in his car, got him out of there, and gave him a home in our house. No questions asked. It was the only right thing to do, but I know many, many people wouldn't have.

I guess what I'm trying to say is thank you dad. I love you.

3 comments:

Lainey said...

Aww, your dad seems like a delightful & generous man! You are a wonderful reflection of his kindness and humor!

llq said...

how are you!This was a really brilliant website!I come from ukChristian Louboutin Heels, I was fortunate to approach your blog in google

qifei2012 said...

Plus a training friend, an excellent fitness program can also be very important pertaining to overall wellness Insanity workout. Sisters and brothers around Shoes includes a entire application with regards to work out and rehearse plan developed for this wellbeing wants of females 90 day workout. Sisters having Footwear will involve colour by using numbers exercising charge cards about overall flexibility, resilience, and as well cardio exercises to be able to deviate the workouts time and time again Wholesale p90x. p90x